Zero Waste: Green Tomatoes in EVOO
There comes a time when tomato plants, although healthy, cannot ripen the fruits. Usually, we tend to fry or throw them away, why not green tomatoes in EVOO ?
- It is good for those who have a small vegetable garden, but it also happens that buying them you will find various green.Don’t waste them. Green tomatoes in oil are less known but tasty, perfect as an appetizer.
• 8 medium size green tomatoes
• 200 ml=1 cup vinegar
• 500 ml =2 cups of water
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 5 basil leaves
• 2 red peppers
• 3 tbsp.coarse salt
• extra virgin olive oil(as much as necessary)
Wash the tomatoes well under running water and remove the petiole.
Slice them a centimeter/half an inch thick and transfer them to a colander, forming layers with coarse salt so that the tomatoes are completely covered.
- Cover the last layer with a plate, then lay a weight to facilitate the drainage of the vegetation liquid. Let the tomatoes “purge” for 24 hours.
- In a pot bring water and vinegar to a boil then dip the tomatoes.
- Let them boil 5 minutes, turn off, put the lid on and let stand for an hour.
- Drain the tomatoes with a skimmer and place them well spread on a clean cloth.
- They will have to dry completely before you can proceed with the preparation.
- prepare the ingredients to flavor, cut the garlic, chili and basil into slices
- Form a first layer of tomatoes inside the sterilized jars, flavor with one of the indicated aromas and form another layer, varying the aroma.
- Continue like this until you get one centimeter / half an inch from the edge.
- Cover the jar and let them stand for 2 hours
- check the oil level and if it has diminished, top it up and close them well
- proceed with the canning boiling the jars for 30 minutes.
- . Let them cool in the same pot then dry them and place them in the pantry.
- After a month the green tomatoes in oil are ready to be consumed.
Vinegar is essential to cancel the bacterial load of tomatoes and thus favor their long shelf life.
So it’s not necessary if you’re eating them in 10 days from the preparation, keeping them in the refrigerator. Green tomatoes in oil can be kept in the pantry for a year.
. Once opened, however, they should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed in a maximum of ten days.
Excellent on bruschetta, pizza or to be served as an appetizer.