Basil “is” immediately smell of cooking, reminds us of Mediterranean food,speaks Italian and is usually tied hand in glove to pizza … Its name derives from the greek basileus which means “king grass”.
But in fact basil also has a herbal valence : in particular, using fresh, is transformed into a very effective natural remedy for many aliments, especially digestive. The best use is to crush in a mortar to break up the cells that contain the essential oil and to release the flavour better.
This is way pesto is the perfect recipe for basil: Pesto Sauce Crostini
CROSTINI AL PESTO
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- a handful of pine-nuts
- Salt,a pinch
- 36 leaves of fresh basil
- 1 spoonful of pecorino
- 1 spoonful Parmigiano
- Extra Virgin Olive oil 100 gr
- French beans (string beans) Bread
- Boil the French beans very soft and then mince them finely.
- Place the basil into the mortar, add the pine-nuts (which have been first toasted in the oven), a clove of garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Begin to beat these ingredients with the pestle, crushing them against the sides of the mortar, gradually adding the two types of cheese. Pound until the mixture has a nice green colour.
- Then pour it into a bowl, mix with the minced French beans and, mixing continuously, gradually add half a glass of oil.
- Continue mixing until you obtain a paste.
- Serve on bread slices
Suggestion : add dried tomatoes and/or boiled potatoes