When in Italy, you’ll find that every town, every village, every family has a different recipe for bread and focaccia.This is a typical potato focaccia,and potatoes are important as they moister the dough better.
The focaccia we have chosen is so special for us: it reminds us when children we were spending the morning on the seashore in Apulia with “papa and mamma” .We were tired with the morning playing on the beach and swimming and the “focaccia man “ arrived . To his “focaccia, focaccia bella ” loud scream, we already felt better, and with the mouth watering !!!
This is why we like preparing this focaccia during our Toscana Mia classes : a pleasure to the eyes, to the palate and to the spirit.
- 500g 00 / all purpose /plain flour
- 250g potatoes
- 20g fresh yeast or 15 gr dried slow rising yeast
- 3 spoonful extra virgin olive oil
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 pinches oregano
- fine salt and rock salt
• Boil the potatoes for 40 minutes.
• Peel them, mash them and leave to cool.
• Mix the potatoes, flour ,yeast ,salt and water.
• Knead the dough for 5 minutes
• Leave to rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
• Knead it again for a few minutes.
• Place the dough on a greased baking tray and place slices of tomato on top.
• Sprinkle with rock salt and oregano
• Leave to rise for another 10 minutes.
• Bake in the oven at 200°C/400 °F for 30 minutes
Sprinkle a little extra virgin olive oil on top before servingEat it by itself or like a tasty bread !