In our family we are used to taste many varieties of bread as we are a little from North a little from South and we live in the center of Italy, and every town has a different bread.
Today we talk about durum wheat semolina bread .The bread made with durum wheat semolina is crispy, fragrant and golden in color .
• 500 grams =2 ½ cups of double milled durum wheat semolina
• 325 g =1 ½ cups of water
• 10 grams = 3 tsp. of fresh brewer’s yeast
• a teaspoon of honey
• a teaspoon of Extra Virgin olive oil
• 12 grams = 3 tsp. of fine salt
- Put the flour in a bowl.
- In another small bowl melt the yeast together with honey and oil in 50 g / half cup of the water.
- Stir and pour over the flour.
- Slowly add the rest of the water.
- As soon as all the ingredients are mixed, add the salt. Transfer the dough onto a woodworking board, dusted with flour and continue to knead until a homogeneous and elastic dough is obtained;
- Bring the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
- Form a ball and put it back in the bowl, making a cross cut on the surface.
Cover the bowl with a cloth and put to rise for about 2 hours in a warm and dry place.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and put it on a oven tray covered with baking paper
- Give the shape of the bread (with these doses you can prepare 2 loaves) dust again with a little flour and let an hour rise again.
- Now make cuts on the surface and if you want you can wet the surface with little water and dust with sesame seeds before baking.
- Heat the oven to the maximum temperature then bring it to 200° C/400°F degrees and bake the bread for about 35 minutes.
- A trick to get a crispy bread out and soft inside is to make the environment moist, putting a pot with a little water at the bottom of the oven.
- Enjoy the bread with sauces, cheese, salami, and tomatoes.